Bigelow’s Raw Report 10/5/09
Monday Night Raw 10/4/09
Announcers: Michael Cole & Jerry Lawler
– We kick off this week’s show with our opening animation before heading inside the Wachovia Arena where Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler welcome us to Raw. The Wilkes-Barre fans seem pretty fired up right out of the gate as we are immediately joined by Steeler QB Ben Roethlisberger. Ben gets a mega pop from the crowd and he all sorts of ready to go here tonight. He acknowledges the boos from the Eagles fans and seems pretty at ease on the mic. He has something special right from the get go: the Diva Bowl. The King is pretty pumped as the Divas all come out in Steeler jerseys and tight white pants. Cole tells us that Divas from all brands will compete in this contest. The Smackdown Divas are rocking plain white tops and black pants. Gail Kim is dressed as the referee and is carrying a flag and has a whistle.
1) Mickie James, Eve, Kelly, Maria, Melina, Nikki Bella & Brie Bella vs. Natalya, Beth Phoenix, Michelle McCool, Layla, Jillian, Alicia & Rosa Mendes in the Diva Bowl
The bell sounds as Mickie and Rosa start things off. They look around as all the other Divas come in and start a big brawl. Gail blows the whistle and clears the Divas to the apron. So, Mickie and Rosa will start things again. Rosa is able to stun Mickie and tag in Alicia. This crowd is rocking. Alicia eats a back elbow on a charge and Mickie follows with a Huracarrana. Mickie snaps her down with a neckbreaker for two. Eve comes in and attacks Rosa but Jillian comes in and takes her out. Now all the Divas just keep coming in one by one and hitting a move. The run ends with Mickie and Michelle going at it. Mickie drills her with a big DDT and Michelle bails to the floor. Alicia comes in and Mickie takes her over with a victory roll for the win. Mickie James d. Alicia Fox with a victory roll to win the Diva Bowl for her team; Grade: 1
– Mickie gets no celebration time as we are joined by our new WWE Champion, Randy Orton. As Orton heads out, we take our first break.
– When we return, Orton is in the ring and ready to speak. Last night, he defeated John Cena to become a six time WWE Champion. He claims that he needed no back up or short cuts last night, despite what everyone says. He and Cena walked into HIAC and he beat him, end of story. He knows Cena is going to interrupt him and ask for a rematch and Orton invites him to do just that because he knows exactly what his response to Cena will be. The crowd chants for Cena and he obliges and appears to an ear splitting high pitched pop. Cena is ready to throw down but Orton wants to quell his excitement. Orton tells Cena he will not get a rematch tonight. Cena says that Orton has shown that he doesn’t give a damn about WWE Universe. But, he is a superstar who strives to be the best, so he is out there to congratulate Orton on his win last night. He could stand out here and talk about how brutal the match was, but truth is there was something special about it. He noticed that over 16,000 fans were on their feet the entire time and there were points were both men were cheered. He realized that Orton/Cena has become the rivalry. All of the fans know that the result of all their matches is always amazing. Cena wants to do it one more time and he thinks the fans are in agreement. He does care about the fans and wants to deliver one more match. However, he wants to give the match…an Iron Man match. Cena runs down the specs and says it will be epic, remarkable and legendary. This would be the end of the rivalry. No second chances, no rematches, this would be it. I think he meant fifteenth chances, but I digress. Orton isn’t stupid and wants to know why he would agree to a match with no rematches after that. Orton agrees they need one last match, but he wants to up the ante. If Cena wins, he gets the title but if he loses, he leaves Raw for good. He can go to SD or ECW, but Orton wants him off his show. Cena accepts the challenge, but Orton says there are more to his terms. There will be no disqualifications or count outs. Cena runs down all the things they could do in that scenario. Cena accepts the terms again. It will be an anything goes Iron Man match and Cena will leave if he loses. They shake hands and Cena takes off. This whole deal would be a lot more epic if they hadn’t traded the title so much lately. Cena leaves and we go to break.
– We are back from break and heading to the ring for our next bout.
2) Jack Swagger vs. Primo
Swagger saunters to the ring as King puts over Ben. He has the mic and says he looks line a winner, smells like a winner and is a winner. He didn’t get pinned last night and going forward, he will not lose. For the rest of the year he promises he will go undefeated. And he approves this message. Primo is the first man on Swagger’s docket to see if he can keep his promise. Cole tells us that the Iron Man is on for Bragging Rights in three weeks. The bell sounds and Swagger and Primo lock up. Swagger takes Primo down and works Primo over. Primo ducks a clothesline and takes Swagger over with a headscissors takedown. Swagger takes control and drops a Vader Bomb on primo. He drops and does some push ups and then clubs away at Primo. Swagger throws Primo and gets two. He pulls Primo up and hooks a bear hug. The crowd starts to rally Primo as Swagger releases the hold. Swagger misses a charge in the corner and Primo gets a roll up for two. Swagger tosses Primo into the corner and hammers away at him. He eats a boot ass he walks in and Primo comes out with some right hands. He hits a dropkick and gets two on Jack. Swagger swats Primo out of mid air with a boot. He picks Primo up and polishes him off with the gutwrench powerbomb. The streak is on as Swagger picks up a solid TV victory. Swagger d. Primo with the gutwrench powerbomb; Grade: 1.5
– We see Chris Jericho and Big Show chatting backstage as we go to break.
– We are back and the Divas are rumbling backstage as Santino walks in dressed as a referee and tries to break things up. He calls defense for encroachment and does his own echo effect. He wants to get into the football spirit and asks Mickie and “Felicia” to kiss and make up. Alicia has a better idea and she smacks him. A brawl erupts again and Santino is in the middle of it. He scampers off as we head back inside the arena. Cole tells us that at Bragging Rights, the winners of all the Smackdown matches will take on the winners of the Raw matches in a big tag team match. Backstage, Miz comes in to chat with Big Ben. Miz takes issue with what Swagger said earlier. Ben laughs about Miz getting pinned last night. Miz says he is awesome, and that isn’t just a catch phrase, it is a way of life. He says Ben was awesome two Sundays in his entire life but Miz is awesome every day. Miz wants a US title shot tonight. He mocks Ben for losing to the Bears and then says this is his birthday week and he deserves it. He begs a bit more and Ben makes the match official. But, there is one stipulation. If Miz loses, he has to grab the mic and tell everyone that he is the Miz and he is awful. Miz accepts and walks off as we walk off to break.
– The Buffalo Wild Wings Slam of the Week takes us back to last week when Chris Masters abused Hornswoggle until Chavo Guerrero made the save.
3) Chavo Guerrero & Chris Masters vs. MVP & Mark Henry
Back live, Masters and Chavo look to be back on the same page as they are teaming up here again tonight. MVP and Henry are out next to a nice pop. Henry and Masters start off and Henry shoves Masters down. Henry continues to work over Masters and drops a big splash on him. Henry is shaken up after landing hard on his knee. He crawls over and tags in MVP who hammers away at Masters until Chris drills him with a clothesline. Chavo tags in and slugs away. MVP crawls for a tag but Chavo dropkicks Henry to the floor. Chavo kicks away at MVP but he charges and MVP takes him over with a belly to belly. MVP hits a diving clothesline and follows with the Ballin elbow. Masters comes in and drops an elbow on Chavo by accident. Henry comes in and knocks Masters out as MVP rolls up Chavo and gets the win. Henry is still limping around and hopefully it isn’t legit. MVP & Henry d. Guerrero & Masters when MVP pins Guerrero with a roll up; Grade: 1.5
– Chavo and Masters argue a bit until Masters drills him. Masters goes for the Masterlock but Hornswoggle comes in from behind and runs interference. Chavo takes Masters out and Hornswoggle jumps up and down doing a crotch chop before scurrying off. Backstage, Ben is walking as we go to break.
– When we return, Ben Roethlisberger is making his way back out to the ring. Ben is quickly interrupted by the tag team champions. Jericho and Show head to the ring, looking dapper as always. Ben isn’t much smaller than Show. Show doesn’t want Ben to get intimated out here, he just wants to know why he is called Big Ben. He wants to know how big the offensive line is compared to him. Jericho doesn’t think they are bigger than him either. Ben grants Show his wish and he brings his O line to a big pop. Ben names them all as they stampede towards the ring. Show stares down the linemen as Jericho rants on about not being intimidated. They don’t wear helmets and pads or take time off for turf toe. So, he suggests they get in their huddle and get a strategy because Jericho and Show are the most dominant team in sports, not the Steelers. The Steelers huddle up and then line up. Show drops down into a three point stance too. Before anything can happen, Show and Jericho bail. But we are now joined by DX and I think we can see where this is heading. The Steelers and fans are rocking as DX hits the ring. Jericho calls DX delinquents that are only concerned with selling merchandise. Hunter appreciates the plug, but they only came out here to tell Chris how nice his hair looks today. Jericho smirks and likes the compliment, but Hunter tells him it looks ridiculous. Shawn doesn’t want to play games because he spent last night getting beat on in the Cell. Jericho and Show have faced some great tag teams, but they haven’t faced one. Show wants to know if that is a challenge. Shawn’s body is killing him but he admits it was a challenge. Show tells him to be smart and to go home to take care of his wounds and come back another day. Jericho doesn’t think DX is worthy because outside the arena, away from the tapeworms and hypocrites, they don’t mean a thing and don’t deserve a title match. They start to leave but Ben stops them. He makes the match official for tonight. Ben has two words for them if they aren’t down with it. And that is that. It looks like we have a big tag match for tonight’s main event. DX and the Steelers drop some crotch chops as we head to break.
– We are back and checking out WWE.com for some info on last night’s PPV. We also thank Skillet for the PPV theme song. They are actually in the house as well. Cole takes us back to some various highlights of Ben’s night here so far.
4) Kofi Kingston vs. Miz for the United States Championship
And it is now time for our next match and our weekly cup of Kofi. It looks like Kofi is officially from Ghana now, so the lies and deception have come to an end and international relations can be smoothed over. And here comes the Miz as Cole reminds us of Ben’s stipulation on this match. They lock up off the bell and Miz takes Kofi down. They trade shoves until Kofi sends Miz to the floor. Back inside, Miz headbutts Kofi and gets one. He stomps away on Kofi but Kofi comes back with some chops and a roll up for two. Miz bails to the floor to regroup. He comes back in but Kofi rolls him up for another near fall. Miz ducks a leapfrog and nails Kofi with a clothesline for a near fall. He kicks Kofi in the face and then chokes him on the bottom rope. Miz works Kofi over with some back elbows and right hands. He misses a charge and Kofi hammers away on him in the corner. He follows with some uppercuts and a flurry of kicks. Kofi charges but gets backflipped to the apron. He heads up top but Miz drills him and Kofi falls to the floor. He is down and out as we take a break. When we return, Miz has Kofi trapped in a chinlock. Kofi fights free and hits a cross body for two. Miz hits a big clothesline and then mounts Kofi and slugs away at him. Miz drops a knee and gets two as Cole tries to make an Office joke but botches Dunder Mifflin. Miz charges but Kofi nails him with Trouble in Paradise out of nowhere. Unfortunately for Kofi, Miz fell right out of the ring. Kofi goes out and rolls Miz back in. He covers but only gets two. Miz gets a near fall on a roll up. Kofi comes back with a leaping clothesline and then lands the Boomdrop for two. Miz bails to the floor and is able to hang Kofi across the middle rope as he reached out. Miz slides back in but Kofi gets him with a backslide for two. They trade right hands as the crowd is really into this one now. Kofi ducks a clothesline and hits a flying forearm and a dropkick. Kofi heads up top and comes off with a cross body but Miz rolls through and gets two. Kofi hits the SOS and gets two off that. Kofi leaps over Miz on a charge but slips off the middle rope and lands hard on the mat. Miz hits the SCF and picks up the win and a title in a great TV match! Miz d. Kingston with the Skull Crushing Finale; Grade: 3
– Miz has his title and a mic and lets us know that he is the new US Champion and that he is awesome! Miz leaves as we go to break.
– We are back and Cole and King are talking about Bragging Rights before taking us back to earlier tonight and the showdown between Cena and Orton. Backstage, Hornswoggle is talking gibberish to Ben when Santino comes in. He was mauled by the Divas and he wants Ben to do something about it. Santino tries to say Ben’s name but it doesn’t go well. Did he say Funky Buttloving? He finally gets it right after a playful smack and then quickly leaves. Elsewhere, JeriShow is walking as we go to break.
– We are back and we will have dual guest hosts next week in Nancy O’Dell and Maria Menounos from Access Hollywood. And with that, it is main event time.
5) Chris Jericho & Big Show vs. Shawn Michaels & Triple H in a non title match
JeriShow is out first and they are followed by DX. Jericho and Hunter will kick things off. The lock up and battle to a stalemate and a clean break. Jericho grabs a side headlock as the crowd is behind Triple H. Hunter sends Jericho over with a hiptoss and then tags in Michaels. Shawn chops Jericho but eats a boot on a charge. Jericho slugs away and slams Michaels down. He walks over and tags in Show as Shawn regroups. Michaels ducks a charge and tags in Hunter. He slowly gets in the ring as we take a break. When we return, Show has Hunter in a bear hug. Apparently Hunter’s back was targeted and worn down during the break. Hunter finally fights free but Show crushes him with a splash in the corner. Show gets a near fall before tagging in Jericho. He hammers on Hunter before drilling him with a boot to the face and a missile dropkick for two. Jericho chokes Hunter on the middle rope but Hunter avoids his charge and Jericho careens off the ropes and to the mat. Hunter tags Shawn who comes in on fire. That is short lived as Jericho takes control with a hard whip to the corner and tags in Show. Show drops a big leg and then hoists Shawn up into an old school hanging backbreaker. Show drops him and continues to pound on the back. He tags in Jericho who keeps the assault on. Shawn peppers back but Jericho crushes him with a clothesline for two. Jericho hooks a modified surfboard submission as the crowd tries to rally Shawn. He fights to his feet and battles free. Shawn gets a small package for two but Jericho turns it into the Walls. Jericho drags him away from the corner and cinches in the hold as Shawn is in some serious pain. Hunter finally comes in and breaks up the hold. The crowd is all fired up here as both men are down and crawling around. Jericho tags in Show but Michaels drills him as he charges in. Michaels dropkicks Show’s knee and he falls into the corner. Michaels tries to make a tag, but Show grabs his foot. Michaels nails an Enziguri and makes the red hot tag. Show tags Jericho and Hunter is all over him. He hits a clothesline and gets two. Triple H hits the facebreaker but Show grabs him from behind. He fights him off and drops Jericho with a spinebuster. He loads up the Pedigree but Show comes in and breaks it up. Michaels comes in as well and Show grabs both men and takes them over with a double suplex. Show charges and Hunter hooks the top rope and he falls out to the floor. Jericho goes for the Walls on Hunter but he blocks it and sends Jericho flying. Show blocks another Pedigree attempt from the floor. Michaels comes flying out but Show catches him. Hunter comes out and shoves Show into the post and then into the timekeeper’s area. Back inside, Jericho is all alone with DX and he quickly bails. Before he can get too far, the MNF theme fires up and Ben and his line appear to block the exit. DX heads out and they grab Jericho and toss him inside the ring. Michaels nails him with SCM and Hunter covers for the win and big pop. That was a fun match and the crowd was really rocking. Michaels & Triple H d. Show & Jericho when Triple H pins Jericho after Michaels’ Sweet Chin Music; Grade: 3
– DX and the Steelers celebrate as we fade out. This was a pretty good show tonight. The crowd was quite hot and Ben did a really nice job as guest host. Miz, Kofi, DX and JeriShow really brought the goods as well and the show kept a nice focus and pace throughout. That is all from Wilkes-Barre. My review partner Scott will be covering next week as I will be watching my Jets battle the Dolphins on MNF. Oh, and maybe a little Yankee playoff action as well if there is a Game Four. See you in two weeks!
Final Grade: B
Posted on October 5, 2009, in Justin Rozzero, WWE and tagged Alicia Fox, Bella Twins, Ben Roethlisberger, Beth Phoenix, Big Show, Chavo Guerrero, Chris Jericho, Chris Masters, Degeneration-X, Eve Torres, Gail Kim, Hornswoggle, Jack Swagger, Jillian Hall, John Cena, Kofi Kingston, Layla, Maria, Mark Henry, Melina, Michelle McCool, Mickie James, MVP, Natalya, Pittsburgh Steelers, Primo Colon, Randy Orton, Raw, Rosa Mendez, Shawn Michaels, The Miz, Triple H. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.
Boo Yankees. Boo Jets. You know what Justin…boo NYC in general. ;D